Kidney stones (renal calculi) are the result of a build up of dissolved minerals on the inner lining of the kidneys. Nephrolithiasis is the medical term for kidney stones.
Kidney stones can affect any part of your urinary tract — from kidneys to bladder. Passing kidney stones can be quite painful. Dehydration is a major risk factor for kidney stone formation. Symptoms of a kidney stone include severe flank pain and blood in the urine (hematuria).
The different types of kidney stones include: calcium, uric acid, cystine, struvite.
RISK FACTORS: kidney stones are most likely to occur in people between the ages of 20 and 50.
RACE: it is more common in Caucasians.
SEX: It is more common in men as compare to women.
FAMILY HISTORY of kidney stones.
Other risk factors:
• a diet with high levels of protein, salt, or glucose
• hyperparathyroid condition
• gastric bypass surgery
• inflammatory bowel diseases that increase calcium absorption
• medicines such as diuretics, antiseizure drugs, and calcium-based antacids.
What are the signs and symptoms of kidney stones? some kidney stones may not produce symptoms (known as “silent” stones)
1. Sudden onset of excruciating, cramping pain in their low back and/or side, groin, or abdomen. Changes in body position do not relieve this pain (the pain is sometimes referred to as renal colic).
2. It is often accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
3. Kidney stones also characteristically cause bloody urine.
4. If infection is present in the urinary tract along with the stones, there may be fever and chills.
5. Sometimes, symptoms such as difficulty urination, urinary urgency, penile pain, or testicular pain may occur due to kidney stones.
DIAGNOSIS: The following tests can rule out obstruction by renal stones :
• X-rays of abdomen
• intravenous pyelogram (IVP)
• retrograde pyelogram
• ultrasound of the kidney
• MRI scan of the abdomen and kidneys
• abdominal CT scan
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT : Homeopathic medicines can break down and dissolve kidney stones or help them pass out as it is without surgical intervention. Homeopathic medicines treat the recurrent tendency towards formation of kidney stones. Homeopathic medicines like Berberis Vulgaris(left sided), Lycopodium (right sided kidney stones, pain is relieved by passing urine) , Hydrangea(breaks kidney stones in ureter and bladder) , Cantharis(burning urination), Benzoic Acid, Sarsaparilla(right sided, urine is scanty, urine contains sandy particles), Hedeoma Pulegioides (left sided) are some well selected remedies to eliminate renal stones.
Ocimum can and tabacum works well when there is renal colic with nausea and vomiting.
Urtica Urens and Benzoic Acid works well when kidney stones are present along with high uric acid level. While pareira brava, works well when kidney stone pain radiates from the kidney to thigh.